Question: I think my child might need braces, how do I find a good orthodontist?

 Answer: The first step should be to schedule a consultation with your family’s regular dentist. If your family does not have a regular dentist, the Wisconsin Dental Association’s website, www.wda.org, is a great place to start your search. Otherwise, a referral from a trusted friend or family member can be very helpful, too. Your family dentist will evaluate your child’s teeth, and if he does, indeed, need orthodontic treatment, the dentist will likely refer you to the care of an orthodontist. In my practice, I only refer patients to orthodontists whom I know well; who have impeccable credentials, and have consistently provided outstanding treatment for my patients. Though it may be tempting to seek out the least expensive orthodontist or the one who has the convincing advertisements, trust your family dentist to steer you in the right direction. If you think your child might need braces, call your family dentist for a consult today, and let her help you with a decision that will affect your child’s teeth for the rest of his life.